SC Exhibitions Egyptian Seite 24

Hinweis: Dies ist eine maschinenlesbare No-Flash Ansicht.
Klicken Sie hier um zur Online-Version zu gelangen.

Inhalt

24 building was modified for ventilation lighting and structural purposes Repair works had to be realised to ease the weight burden off the concrete roof as the reinforced concrete construction system pioneered by the French engineer François Hennebique had not been mastered at the time The terrace had to be almost completely recon structed and the original glass skylights covering the double height atriums which allowed too much sun and heat inside the rooms were transformed into skylights as used in the traditional houses of Cairo The topmost horizontal glass panes of the skylights were replaced by wood covered with thin metallic sheets Furthermore it was decided that the ground floor level of the Grande Galerie Cen trale should be lowered as it was not high enough and its floor was too weak to accommodate the monumental sculptures and artefacts The upgrading and development of the Egyptian Museum and its surroundings according to the original plans continued until the Revolution of 23 July1952 Since then political instability heavy bureaucracy and a lack of systematic planning have led to an array of negative impacts that threaten the Egyptian Museum s position as the world s largest establishment dedicated to Ancient Egyptian artefacts One of the challenges faced by the Egyptian Museum is the breakdown of the natural ventilation system and the high fluctuations of humidity due to the absence of a system for air control Consequently many windows are left open especially in the summer to get fresh air inside the museum This in turn has caused great damage to many artefacts Missing window panes in the skylights on the roof also contribute to the deterioration of objects in addition to allowing easy access to the museum by thieves as proven during the recent January 2011 Revolution In other instances wholly inadequate protective measures have been used For example following the 1967 defeat in the Six Day War with Israel the government decided to build concrete roofs on top of the skylights to protect the museum from potential air raids This was done without taking into account the increased load on the roof structure Another constant problem since the foundation of the museum has been the implementation of projects in its vicinity which in some instances have impacted the museum s structure Vibrations caused by tunnel boring activities during the construction of metro lines and from traffic passing nearby in Tahrir Square or over the 6th of October Bridge have caused cracks in the museum s walls as well as in some of the artefacts The Egyptian Museum was managed by foreign directors until 1950 when Mahmoud Hamza became the first Egyptian Director By 1949 the British military barracks to the southeast of the museum were removed creating a larger public space within the museum s grounds Five years later in 1954 the Cairo Governorate took a large section of land west and south of the museum to construct the headquarters of the Arab League the Nile Hilton Hotel now the Nile Ritz Carlton Hotel and a building for the Cairo Municipality where in the early 1960s Egypt s President Gamal Abdel Nasser established the headquarters of his Arab Socialist Union The Union was converted to the National Democratic Party in 1978 by Nasser s successor Anwar El Sadat In the late 1970s a number of transport infrastructure and tourism development projects were established on the northern side of the Egyptian Museum The 6th of October Bridge and Ramsis Hilton Hotel in Abdel Moniem Riad Square were constructed without taking into account the development of the museum and its general layout The All Saints Cathedral was demolished to make way for these developments The garden on the eastern side of the museum was reduced to broaden the adjacent thoroughfare To the south the gardens were removed and replaced by a bus station which itself was destroyed in the 1980s during the construction of the Tahrir metro station This particular area now looks like a no man s land Since 1983 the Egyptian Museum building has been classified as a protected monument under the control of the Ministry of Antiquities due to its unique architectural style Law 117 stipulates that in no case shall protected buildings be tampered with except through the Islamic and Coptic Sector within the Ministry The Ministry of Antiquities can impose its control over all buildings within a 500 metre radius of the museum The Protection Act allows for the modification of the museum building campus which means that at least the land occupied by the former National Democratic Party to the west could be made subject to the Egyptian Museum Giving this piece of land to the Ministry of Antiquities would greatly support the museum s long overdue rehabilitation as envisaged in The Revival of the Egyptian Museum Initiative


Vorschau SC Exhibitions Egyptian Seite 24