SC Exhibitions Egyptian Seite 23

Hinweis: Dies ist eine maschinenlesbare No-Flash Ansicht.
Klicken Sie hier um zur Online-Version zu gelangen.

Inhalt

23 Egyptian daily newspaper Al Ahram announced the official opening of the Egyptian Museum Based on European architectural models the museum is typical of large public and institutional buildings libraries theatres and city halls built at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century all over Europe and America Such buildings were mostly isolated monumental and designed in a classical style known as the Beaux Arts Style that was prevalent during this period The Egyptian Museum was the first museum in Egypt to be designed with massive internal spaces to house large numbers of Pharaonic monuments The building features a symmetrical and T shaped composition along a main and perpendicular north south axis with the Grande Galerie Centrale at its centre accentuated by rows of arches and columns on its longitudinal sides The Galerie d Honneur runs perpendicular to it and parallel to the museum s south facade It is designed as a sequence of double height rectangular and circular spaces from east to west with a Rotunda in the centre located right after the museum s main entrance Along each side of the Grande Galerie Centrale is a series of seven rooms the atriums These are double height rooms topped by a skylight and connected by an outer and inner ring gallery on both floors which surround the whole edifice It seems that the proposal for this type of room which offered a brilliant solution in terms of natural lighting was decisive in the final choice of the jury Today a total of 89 spacious display halls occupy two floors although the museum originally comprised more than 100 display halls The lost halls are a result of the gradual conversion of exhibition space into storage facilities due to a pressing lack of space The inner ring gallery on the ground floor is no longer accessible to the public and is used as a storage area The library and administrative offices have separate entrances and are located on the western and eastern corners of the museum s south facade The Egyptian Museum presented from the outset a series of architectural and construction challenges for the building contractors According to available documents they had not been resolved by the time of the museum s inauguration in 1902 Thus from 1907 to 1909 the roof of the


Vorschau SC Exhibitions Egyptian Seite 23